Each month, we ask DJ’s questions ranging from culture to sports to of course music and whatever else comes to mind. DJ Rare Groove answers 10 Questions.
DJ Rare Groove serves as one fourth of the DJ collective Selectas Choice and tours the world with the artist Blueprint and his Weightless Recordings imprint.
DJ Rare Groove answers 10 Questions
1. What is the local venue where you have the livest crowd anytime you’re mixing?
DJRG: Mio’s Pizzeria Pub in Clifton.
2. What place were you surprised at the most that was receptive to hip hop?
DJRG: Sitka, Alaska. The crowd didn’t leave till 6am. It was one of the best parties I’ve done.
3. Do you prefer Skyline or Gold Star?
DJRG: Neither lol.
4. This summer, you plan to…?
DJRG: Start an all vinyl funk 45 night and finally release my long overdue album.
5. What is your all time favorite R&B album?
DJRG: Tie between “I Want You” by Marvin Gaye and “Songs In The Key Of Life” by Stevie Wonder.
6. Do you think the FC stadium should be built in the West End?
DJRG: Not a sports guy or that familiar with it to comment.
7. What made you get into dj’ing?
DJRG: I had an uncle and an older cousin who were djing around me as a kid. It was just a natural thing for me to do.
8. Who is your favorite artist to listen to right now and why?
DJRG: Malibu by Anderson Paak. I love the sound he is contributing, the song writing, the live instrumentation, and the marrying of old and new sounds he is bringing.
9. What is the best thing you like about touring?
DJRG: Seeing the world and meeting new people.
10. Who’s your pick for the Final Four?
DJRG: LOL. Again not a sports guy.